Tuesday 4 October 2011

Route 66 - California or bust!!

As you may have guessed from the title, we are embarking on my longest holiday ever - 3 and a half weeks of travelling the US of A in a soft top! It was his holiday choice this year, and he chose well. As a result, we are driving from Chicago to California via about 17 different locations. I'm going to try and document each, if for no other reason than to make sure that in 20 years I can still remember the fantastic hotels/people/sights/sounds etc...

DAY 1 & 2 - Chicago

We landed in O'Hare after an 8 hour (or so) flight from Heathrow. As we live in the north of England, our day started at 3.30am, when we piled into his car and drove from Leeds to London to make sure we were nice and early. I (rather impressively in my opinion) managed to catch some zees underneath the flightpath, whereas he (who had driven for 4 hours to get us there) was less able to block out the vibrations when a plane took off every few minutes...

We flew with BA, and the flight was fine. I cannot, however, recommend going "Premium Economy" enough, due to the extra legroom and extra baggage - we will be needing it on the way back. I don't want to sound tight and/or perpetuate any Yorkshire steroetypes, but the Premium Economy includes free drinks. However, they only come around a couple of times and close the bar an hour before landing. I'd therefore recommend getting a couple of drinks each time, and not being embarrassed to go through Cattle Class (honestly - they couldn't fit anyone else in without injury and/or breaching EU regulations on transport) to get anything else you fancy during the flight. Also, if you fly at the end of the month, the tapes may be knackered and the films might not play very well - definitely something to be aware of if you're travelling with kids and reliant on the airplane telly to keep them amused... We took films on the laptop and PSP, so I was kept out of mischief. I also was able to take a 3.5mm crochet hook along for the flight.

[Going for dinner now, I'll post again later... and add our photos of our first night in the Windy city]

No comments:

Post a Comment